Friday, February 8, 2008

Ecuador Volcano Eruption

The Pro-Ecuador BLOG has moved. Our news address is www.living-in-ecuador-blog.com

Click here to read this post at the new BLOG.

Tungurahua Volcano near the tourist town of Banos is blowing off steam and ash again in an eruption that so far is smaller than the eruption that occurred in 2006. We have had several questions as to whether we here in Cotacachi are feeling any effect from the explosion, and the answer is no, almost.

I talked to Jorge, the builder of Primavera II condominiums today and he told me that his sister called him late at night on Wednesday and asked him if he had heard anything. She woke up in the middle of the night to the rattling of the windows in her house. Jorge hadn't heard anything, but turned on the TV in time to see news about the eruption.

Jorge said that even in 2006, when there was a major eruption, there was no effect in Cotacachi. Then he made a comment that I really appreciated.

He said, "we live in paradise, between two major rivers that carry the water away so we never have floods, and our two volcanoes are extinct." Linda and I have lived here for more than a year and have never experienced a major storm, except for a couple of hard rains.

I saw a volcano eruption in Guatemala in 1974. It was one of the highlights of my life. Such incredible power and magnificence was hard to believe. It was one of those experiences I remember as if it happened yesterday. But I certainly don't want to live near one!

No comments: